Friday, October 9, 2009

Calling All Conservatives - The Deficit You Don't Know, Will Definitely Hurt You (And the Rest of Us)

So having Big Debt is a bad thing, right? Running Monster Deficits leads the way to Moral Decay and Lower Profits - am I reading that right? I want to make sure I understand what all this fuss about the Bailout, and all things Big Guvmint are doing to Destroy the Fabric of the Capitalist System, 'cuz I don't want ya'll to come back at me with that nyah-nyah-nyah s**t, OK?

What if I told you about an even Bigger Debt, a Truly Gargantuan Deficit? One that makes the current US of A's look like kindergarten lunch money? Wouldn't that alarm you? Would your fiscal conservative self get all riled up and Demand The Guvmint Do Something About IT? Or, would you just yawn and say, no worry, it's not our problem? The grandkids can carry the load? Well, guess what? Now's your chance to step up to your conservative credentials. That is, if ya got the spine for it. Well, do ya?

This I found at a Middle Eastern news site. The freakin' Middle East, fer cri-yi!! NOT on the front pages of any US paper that I can see. If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to bite my own hand in repentance, but still... Earth Overshoot Day was September 24. A coupla weeks back. Did you hear about this? No? Well, neither did I, until now. You want deficit? I'll give ya deficit, binky! Here's a pithy excerpt:

"From now until the end of the year, we will meet our ecological demand by depleting resource stocks and accumulating greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Since the mid 1980s, humanity has been demanding ecological services faster than the planet can regenerate them, a condition known as ecological overshoot.  We now use in less than 10 months the amount of resources it takes 12 months for nature to generate, according to Global Footprint Network data.

“It’s a simple case of income versus expenditures,” said Global Footprint Network President Mathis Wackernagel. “For years, our demand on nature has exceeded, by an increasingly greater margin, the budget of what nature can produce. 

The urgent threats we are seeing now – most notably climate change, but also biodiversity loss, shrinking forests, declining fisheries, soil erosion and freshwater stress – are all clear signs: Nature is running out of credit to extend.”"
Source: BI-ME , Author: BI-ME staff
(Emphasis added by moi)


And you are trying to get me upset about a coupla trillion buckaroos? Give me a break. 

You want me to care about THAT deficit, you start showing some REAL concern with REAL action about this one, without all that namby-pamby "ooh, our economy, ooh, our poor banks, ooh, our poor ideology" bull-pucky. Until then, zip it. You are welcome to go down with YOUR ship. But when you try to sink everyone else with you, fugedaboudit!




No comments:

Post a Comment

If its not rational, well-crafted, on point, and civil, fugedaboudit. I will delete all comments that abuse, are obscene, or refer excessively to how right you are.Otherwise, have at it.